Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Apple Pizza Turnovers

In the fight to get my grown-ass husband to eat breakfast, I have been trying new recipes. I have made ham mcmuffins, bacon-n-eggs cups, and apple pizza. Well, it was supposed to be apple pizza, however, I turned it in to an apple pizza turnover. The original recipe was supposed to be dairy free, however, no dairy allergies in this house...so we used real butter. I used more lemon juice then was specified and from a real lemon. I love tart apple pie!

This is what it was supposed to look like....


This is what it actually look like!

I guess in my mind I wasn't picturing a pizza per say....I was thinking of a pie. I think that's where it all got out of hand. I rolled the dough out too much and had large squares of dough. So, I improvised and made turnovers. Crafty, huh? Who the hell cares what they look like, they were fantastic! I got 2 thumbs up from the Hubbs and my dad (who is a apple turnover connoisseur). Of course, it was one of my favorite things for breakfast! Who doesn't love pizza dough and apple pie filling? So, here's the recipe I used....it was adapted from this version.

Ingredients
  • 1 tube of refrigerated pizza dough
  • 2 apples (1 tart, 1 sweet) peeled, cored, chopped
  • 2-3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice + a little bit of pulp
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • ½ tsp corn starch
  • 3 Tbsp butter divided 
  • {Streusel}
  • 3 Tbsp brown sugar
  • ¼ cup unbleached all purpose flour
  • 3 Tbsp butter
  • {Glaze}
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp butter, melted
  • 2 Tbsp of milk, more depending on consistency desired

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
  2. Place peeled and cut apples in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice, cinnamon, brown sugar, corn starch and mix. Place apple mixture on pan. Then speckle tiny dots of butter over the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
  3. Raise oven temperature to 450 degrees F and roll out the pizza dough to about 1/2 thick. Use pizza cutter to cut into 4 pieces. 
  4. Transfer dough squares to lightly greased baking sheets and top with apples. Prepare streusel by combining brown sugar and flour and then cutting in butter with a fork until well combined. Sprinkle over the top of the apples. Then fold in corner to make into a turnover. Top each with 1 tsp of sugar.
  5. Bake pizzas for 10-12 minutes or until the edges appear lightly brown and the toppings are bubbly.
  6. Meanwhile, prepare glaze by combining powdered sugar with vanilla and melted butter and whisking in milk until desired consistency is reached – thin enough to drizzle. You will have leftover glaze.
  7. Remove turnovers from oven and drizzle with vanilla glaze, cut however you please and serve warm. These store well in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 2 or 3 days. Simply reheat in the oven or microwave before serving.


I seriously just ate the one that was left over as part of my lunch and it was AMAZING! So good luck - it was easy and didn't take that much time! 






No comments:

Post a Comment